You have probably heard the term “healthcare provider” being used by insurance companies or on television. It is a broad term that may leave you wondering what a healthcare provider is.
Who Is A Healthcare Provider?
A healthcare provider is a professional or a company that provides you with care. Providers are dedicated to making sure patients are healthy. There are different kinds of providers. One of the more common ones you may meet is a primary care physician. Healthcare providers are divided into six groups:
- Doctors are the primary care providers in the medical field. They can be general practitioners that treat the flu and make first-level diagnosis. Many doctors specialize in a specific field, such as a cardiologist or a dentist.
- Nurses are often associated with hospitals, but there can also be registered nurses at a doctor’s office. Nurses constantly work with patients directly and help with their recovery. They pass patient information to the doctor.
- Pharmacists study chemicals and medicines and are aware of their side effects. They provide you with medicine that has been prescribed by your doctor. They also advise about over-the-counter medicine.
- An Administrative staff plays an important part in a doctor’s office or a hospital. They manage appointments, patient information, and insurance information.
- Technicians are the ones who work in labs. They test blood or urine to analyze what is going on in the patient’s body. Some are responsible for taking x-rays.
- Therapists work on helping patients recover from an injury or illness. They may work on physical areas such as walking or coordination. Three main types of therapists are physical therapists, occupational therapists, and speech therapists.
Healthcare providers are a part of a provider network. This means that they offer services that are partially or completely covered by your healthcare plan. Not every provider will accept certain insurance companies. It is important to find an in-network provider if possible.
The Houston Healthcare Initiative provides information and tools regarding physical and mental health. To learn more, visit our site and contact us today.