Join The Conversation!
Share Your Story
What Can I Do Right Now?
- Obtain a personal physician that works in hospital as well as in the office that will be your advocate if you become sick or injured.
- Lead a healthy lifestyle
- Do not focus solely on yourself; find ways to help others. Do this to combat loneliness and depression.
- Create your own HSA; pay cash for routine expenses.
- Purchase individual insurance with as high a deductible as possible to pay for catastrophic costs. (If you cannot find such a policy at a price that you can afford, drop out of the insurance system completely, fund the HSA). A healthcare cooperative is an alternative to high deductible insurance.
- Negotiate a Hospital bill after the fact. For information on how to negotiate visit www.thebalance.com. Search “How to negotiate hospital bills”.
- Shop the price of elective procedures. Do not limit your search to your local area. Search the entire USA and the world. You can use the prices found to negotiate a lower price with a local provider.