Who We Are
The Houston Healthcare Initiative (HHI) was founded by Dr. Steven Goldstein. Like many Americans, Dr. Goldstein is concerned about the state of the U.S healthcare system as well as the sorry state of the public’s health. The Houston Healthcare Initiative Web Site is an aggregator of news, information, tools and targets for those who want to help drive reform for the healthcare industry. HHI’s emphasis for reform is on free market innovation and personal responsibility. Examples of and links to medical services that operate on a cash basis at prices that are less than what providers charge health insurance companies are also available here.
The goal of the Houston Healthcare Initiative is to be a catalyst for change in the way Americans receive and pay for medical treatment. To cause change the site is an aggregator of information, tools, and targets for the reform of the healthcare industry with an emphasis on free market innovation and personal responsibility. Examples of and links to medical services that operate on a cash basis at prices that are less than what providers charge health insurance companies are also available here.
Why Was Houston Healthcare Initiative Started?
As Physicians we are concerned about:
- the sorry state of the Public Health in our country.
- the high (and rising) cost of healthcare.
- poor patient compliance.
- unhealthy lifestyle choices.
- the lack of access to physicians.
We are advocating:
- the Healthcare Cooperative model as the payment mechanism.
- the use of a private practice doctor to improve physician access.
- financial incentives to improve patient compliance with treatment.
- financial incentives to promote a healthy lifestyle.
HHI wants to be an advocate for reform with the goal of improving public health; stop squandering money on healthcare (sick care); and improve healthcare by focusing on patient centered cost effective care.